Talking to clients about eligibility for expunction and exposure to collateral consequences can be challenging. To assist defenders in having a conversation with youth about expunction, there is now an Expunction Toolkit located under Materials for Defenders on the OJD website. The Toolkit includes the following materials:
- Power point presentation (with voiceover) explaining the law and impact of expunction
- Flow chart of expunction eligibility
- Impact chart of certain adjudications on future criminal involvement
- Collateral consequences chart and manual of juvenile adjudications in NC
- Expunction reminder card, front and back
We hope to be periodically adding information to assist defenders. As a reminder, expunction materials for youth can be be found here. Thanks so much to Hannah Emory, Erica Navalance, Luke Wollard and Katie Tysinger for their help!