Our mission can be described in four parts:
- to provide services and support to defense attorneys,
- to evaluate the current system of representation and make recommendations as needed,
- to elevate the stature of juvenile delinquency representation,
- and to work with other juvenile justice actors to promote positive change in the juvenile justice system.
Our office is a part of the Office of Indigent Defense Services (IDS). IDS has a number of responsibilities, including:
- 1) overseeing the provision of legal representation to indigent defendants and others entitled to counsel under North Carolina law
- 2) developing training, qualification, and performance standards to govern the provision of legal services to indigent persons
- 3) determining the most appropriate methods of delivering legal services to indigent persons in each judicial district
- 4) providing services in the most cost-effective manner possible
The attorneys we assist represent juveniles in the North Carolina Court System. Juvenile Court currently serves youth between the ages of 6 and 17 in North Carolina.
Contact us at:
The Office of the Juvenile Defender
PO BOX 2448
Raleigh NC 27602